Many of my clients ask me what vitamin supplements they can take to complement their skin care regime and give them glowing skin. Here are my recommendations for supplements that will help you achieve the best results with your skin care.
Supplements for Aging Skin and General Skin Radiance
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is extremely effective as an antioxidant, your natural defense against free radicals, which are unstable molecules that age the skin, resulting from environmental pollutants, smoking, or excess sun exposure. Vitamin C neutralizes volatile reactions caused by free radicals that damage skin and will help prevent and reduce wrinkles. Take 1000 mg/day.
- Vitamin E is a key anti-aging vitamin that protects the skin and other cell structures in your body from free radical damage. Some researchers believe that vitamin E is the most important of all the anti aging antioxidants – the master vitamin. Nutritionists estimate that over 95% of Americans have a diet providing below the recommended dieatary level of vitamin E. I recommend taking 100 mg/day.
- High strength Omega 3. Omega 3 is vital for younger looking skin as you get older and works with vitamin C and E to boost collagen and moisturize your skin from within. Take 500-1000 mg/day.
Supplements for Acne Prone Skin
- Vitamin A helps to regulate the skin’s sebum (oil) production, which helps decrease acne. Note – vitamin A can be toxic in high doses, so do not exceed recommended dose. Take 10,000 IU/day.
- Zinc inhibits conversion of DHT, which stimulates oil production. Be sure to take with food. Take 50 mg/day.
- Flax seed oil or fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed and fish oils have both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Take in capsule form or add flaxseed oil to smoothies or yogurt. Take 500-1000 mg/day.
There are many vitamin supplements on the market – my advice is to go for the best you can afford. Cheaper usually means inferior vitamin content and less absorption into the body. Check the small print to make sure you’re getting the highest levels of each vitamin or mineral for your money. I shop for my vitamins at whole foods to ensure high quality.
In addition to supplements, I also recommend using mineral drops daily with water or juice. I use Concentrace Mineral drops that contain magnesium, chloride and potassium. These drops will help alkalize your body and increase its absorption of vitamins and minerals.